Call out for Stomping Ground Commission 2024 for outdoor dance works
Stomping Ground seeks proposals for bold, original and ambitious dance works for outdoor spaces. The chosen project will receive a £22,500 commission.
Stomping Ground, a commissioning group comprised of FABRIC, FESTIVAL.ORG, The Place, Tramway, Strike A Light and presentation partner Sismògraf Festival in Olot, Catalonia, is seeking proposals for bold, original and ambitious dance works made for outdoor spaces. This opportunity calls for artists interested in making compelling work that can grab the attention and imaginations of audiences through presentations suitable for urban, rural, festival or high street spaces.
The chosen project will receive a £22,500 commission towards an original work to be presented from summer 2024 and beyond.
The commissioning group is interested to hear from artists developing high-quality work that pushes the boundaries of what’s possible in outdoor entertainment and prioritises sustainability in the ideas, creation and touring.
A broad range of outdoor practices and presentation formats is welcomed, and creative ambition is prioritised over scale. The goal is to support compelling ideas that have a powerful impact on a broad audience base, and can be showcased in diverse contexts, including but not limited to urban, rural, festival, or high street settings.
This year, the commissioning group is delighted to welcome two new partners: Strike A Light and presentation partner Sismògraf Festival in Olot, Catalonia. Taking the lead from the Sismògraf’s conscious, socially and environmentally responsible programming, all applicants for the 2024 commission are invited to consider social and environmental responsibility in the ideas contained in the work, and in the methods of creation & touring. Projects should demonstrate how they relate in a conscious and responsible way to the landscape in which they are made and performed. This can be the physical landscape, and/or the emotional, social or political landscape.
- be originally conceived as outdoor works (rather than work which has previously been made for indoor spaces)
- be adaptable to a variety of locations, with the potential to be scaled to different contexts, conceived with touring potential in mind
- respond to, or engage with, the world we’re living in now
- consider how outdoor work can engage a mix of committed attendees & passersby
- have an experienced team behind them, some of whom may have strong experience in the outdoor sector
The commissioners are interested in hearing from dance makers who:
- are UK based
- have a track record of making and presenting work in a range of professional contexts
- are interested in how outdoor work can inspire audiences from the broadest range of backgrounds
- are seeking to engage with inspiring artists as part of their creative team (e.g. music, design, theatre, circus) and/or other disciplines (e.g. architecture, town planning)
- might not necessarily define themselves as ‘dance makers’ but create performance with a strong and distinctive movement element. Applications from artists from other disciplines who use movement in their practice are welcome
- are committed to exploring more sustainable ways of making and touring
Stomping Ground commissions will reflect the range of artists in the UK. Applications from those who are currently underrepresented in the dance sector, including but not limited to, deaf, disabled and neurodivergent artists, artists from financially disadvantaged backgrounds, artists who experience racism, artists with care responsibilities and artists who are LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged.
The commissioned artist will be supported on their journey from the beginnings of the idea, right through to production. Alongside the £22,500 commission, the partners can also offer R&D space, marketing guidance, producing and touring support and other guidance.
UK based artists, who define themselves as having an established practice, and track record of making and presenting high quality work.
Applications from students (unless at PhD level), or artists based outside of the UK will not be eligible.
Applicants are invited to respond with an expression of interest.
Deadline for applications: Monday 18 September, 12pm
Shortlisted applicants will be notified by: Friday 6 October
The selection is carried out by a panel of producers and programmers from the commissioning organisations, as well as an external artist.
Stomping Ground is a commissioning group comprised of FABRIC, FESTIVAL.ORG, The Place, Tramway and Strike A Light and presentation partner Sismògraf Festival.