Dance in Schools

Dance in Schools

U.Dance Grimsby

Dance is included in the PE curriculum at Key Stage 1 to Key Stage 3 National Curriculum in England: Physical Education Programmes of Study.

It is a popular and highly effective way of getting children active and offers a unique medium for creative expression. Professionals, other than school teachers, delivering dance with children are usually called dance practitioners

Schools have been using their PE and Sport Premium funding to support dance activity in different ways. See our document: Delivering Dance using the PE and Sports Premium funding document for examples.

GCSE Dance statistics for 2016.

How do I identify appropriate dance practitioners to deliver dance in my school?

Here is a document: High Quality Dance in Schools which provides advice on selecting the right people to deliver dance in your school.

How do I find local dance practitioners to deliver dance in my school?

Here is a List of Dance Organisations across England who can help you find local dance practitioners.

One Dance UK is the Subject Association for Dance. This means that as a membership organisation we have a national remit to support and promote dance in educational settings and have been granted membership by the Council for Subject Associations.

We offer one day CPD courses on a range of topics including:

Primary Dance – Key Stage 1 and 2

Delivering Dance at Key Stage 3

Bespoke GCSE and A-Level CPD workshops/days

For more information email

We have a range of resources for teachers and dance practitioners which can be found in our Resources Section.

Members of One Dance UK have access to a huge range of lesson plans and additional teaching resources via a link available through their membership login.

Individual teachers can join One Dance UK for £35 with the additional option of adding on access to teaching resources for a further £20. Schools and Educational Establishments can join for £110. For more info about becoming a member click here.

NB: At present this membership can be arranged through the NDTA site.