World Ballet Day – Thursday 5 October 2017
On Thursday 5 October 2017, celebrate World Ballet Day with a 22-hour live stream of dance from across the world.
Highlights from the Royal Ballet include:
- #BalletNoFilter: open call for viewers to digitally share their dance moves
- Royal Ballet in morning class
- The first showing of The Royal Ballet’s new Ballet Fit video series
- In rehearsal with Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Rehearsals of Kenneth MacMillan’s Jeux, Judas Tree and Elite Syncopations
- Interview with Principal dancer Marianela Nuñez
- Arthur Pita rehearses new ballet The Wind ahead of its world premiere
- British guest companies taking part – Birmingham Royal Ballet, Northern Ballet, Scottish Ballet and English National Ballet
From 12 pm on Thursday 5 October, audiences around the world are invited to watch five hours of behind the scenes live footage from The Royal Ballet direct to their desktops, smartphones or tablets using Facebook LIVE as part of the 22 hour live stream with Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, The National Ballet of Canada and San Francisco Ballet. World Ballet Day secured over 700,000 live views last year and this year we’re inviting viewers to get involved and share their dance moves with the rest of the world using the #BalletNoFilter. Viewers can share a dance image of themselves, weather novice or professional or somewhere in between. #BalletNoFilter offers the chance to share the sheer joy of dance and join the community of World Ballet Day. Presented by Ore Oduba and dancers of The Royal Ballet, the exclusive behind the scenes footage provides an insight into a day in the life of one of the world’s top ballet companies.
The Royal Ballet live stream offers a mix of rehearsal footage, behind the scenes access, interviews with dancers, choreographers and the Director of The Royal Ballet, Kevin O’Hare. In addition, there’s pre-recorded content from Birmingham Royal Ballet, English National Ballet, Scottish Ballet and Northern Ballet.
The Royal Ballet Live Stream, 12pm – 5pm Thursday 5 October 2017, is streamed on FaceBook Live and www.worldballetday.com:
- Ballet Class with teacher Olga Evreinoff
- Interview with Marianela Nuñez on dancing with The Royal Ballet for 20 years
- VT: Marianela Nuñez archive
- Choreographer Arthur Pita rehearses his new ballet The Wind
- Interview with Arthur Pita
- VT: Northern Ballet rehearsing Kenneth MacMillan’s Song of the Earth
- #BalletNoFilter invite for viewers to share their dance moves
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland rehearsal with the Fernando Montano as The Caterpillar
- Interview with Royal Ballet Rehearsal Director Christopher Saunders
- Feature on dancers fitness at The Royal Ballet
- VT: Inside The Royal Ballet’s Health Suite
- Premiere of Ballet Fit, a new fitness online video series from The Royal Ballet
- VT: Scottish Ballet rehearsing Kenneth Macmillan’s The Rite of Spring
- Rehearsal with students of The Royal Ballet School
- Kenneth MacMillan feature
- Rehearsal of Kenneth MacMillan ballets Jeux, Judas Tree and Elite Syncopations
- VT: Northern Ballet on The Little Mermaid
- The Royal Ballet and National Ballet of Canada collaborate on The Dreamers Ever Leave You
- VT: The Birmingham Royal Ballet rehearsing Concerto
- Inside The Royal Ballet Wardrobe department
- The Royal Ballet’s corps de ballet rehearse Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
Other guest companies The Royal Ballet has partnered with are Dutch National Ballet, Finnish National Ballet, La Scala Ballet Company, Norwegian National Opera and Ballet, Polish National Ballet, Royal Swedish Ballet, The Royal Danish Ballet, Stuttgart Ballet, and Wiener Staatsballett. Each of these companies will be joining in the day with their own Facebook LIVE broadcasts on their own Facebook channel.
In total, across the 22 hours each partner company, The Australian Ballet, Bolshoi Ballet, The National Ballet of Canada and San Francisco Ballet, has worked to ensure over 21 guest companies are represented on the day.
World Ballet Day LIVE 2016 secured over 700,000 views on the day and reached an audience of over 6.7 million on partner sites throughout the course of the year.