Wildfire Rising – An Associate Artist Programme From Movema & Cheshire Dance
Wildfire Rising is an artist programme that removes the barriers of inequality by investing in and supporting artists from the African, South Asian, East Asian and South East Asian Diasporas. Cheshire Dance and Movema are looking for three North West based dance artists who will each take part in paid, bespoke professional development and reflection, receiving 3.5k which includes a £1.5k commission and support to develop their own dance work.
Through ‘Wildfire Rising’, Cheshire Dance and Movema are:
- Investing in and supporting dance artists from African, South Asian, East Asian and South East Asian diasporas to make way for the rising of their artistry, representation and development.
- Increasing representation of artists from African, South Asian, East Asian and South East Asian diasporas in both of our organisations – at all levels.
- Learning about what the barriers are to African, South Asian, East Asian and South East Asian diaspora artists engaging with our organisations (as participants and artists), and subsequently using the learning to develop the diversity of our organisations.
- Reducing inequalities in dance.
- Learning about the needs of artists from African, South Asian, East Asian and South East Asian diasporas and using our voices and platforms to feed this understanding into wider strategic conversations with Arts Council England and Dance Consortia North West (DCNW) to ensure development of relevant support systems for artists.
- Generating and developing trust and shifting perceptions of our organisations as places where people of diverse cultural and racial backgrounds are welcome, valued and feel ‘at home’.
Jane McLean, Creative Director, Cheshire Dance: “At Cheshire Dance we celebrate and value the diversity of individuals and communities and are committed to reducing inequalities in dance. Through Wildfire Rising we are really excited to work with dance artists from the African, South Asian, East Asian and South East Asian Diasporas to develop rich and innovative dance projects and to support their artistic development. We’re excited about the potential to connect with artists from across the North West and explore how we can generate change in our dance sector so that artists from these diasporas can thrive within it.”
Ithalia Forel, Co-Director, Movema: “Movema are excited to launch the Wildfire Rising associate artist programme in partnership with Cheshire Dance. Since we were established in 2009, we have had cultural diversity at the core of what we do. Responding to the needs of our communities using the power of dance to bring people together. Wildfire Rising addresses the challenges for underrepresented artists in the north west in relation to employment, training and representation. Wildfire Rising will invest, support and reduce the inequalities experienced by artists from the African, East Asian, South Asian and South East Asian diasporas. We are so delighted to create this platform for the artists to be seen, heard and supported”.