Stomping Ground £20,000 commission call out
Stomping Ground, a commissioning group comprised of The Place, FESTIVAL.ORG, DanceXchange (Birmingham) and Tramway (Glasgow), is seeking proposals for bold, original and ambitious dance works made for outdoor spaces. This opportunity calls for artists interested in making compelling work that can grab the attention and imaginations of audiences through presentations suitable for urban, rural, festival or high street spaces.
The chosen project will receive a £20k commission towards an original work, which is expected for presentation from summer 2022.
- be originally conceived as outdoor works (rather than work which has previously been made for indoor spaces)
- be adaptable to a variety of locations, with the potential to be scaled to different contexts, conceived with touring potential in mind
- respond to, or engage with, the world we’re living in now
- consider how outdoor work can engage a mix of committed attendees & passersby
- have an experienced team behind them, some of whom may have strong experience in the outdoor sector
The commissioners are interested in hearing from dance makers who:
- are UK based
- have a track record of making and presenting work in a range of professional contexts
- are interested in how outdoor work can inspire audiences from the broadest range of backgrounds
- are seeking to engage with inspiring artists as part of their creative team (e.g. music, design, theatre, circus) and/or other disciplines (e.g. architecture, town planning)
- might not necessarily define themselves as ‘dance makers’ but create performance with a strong and distinctive movement element. Applications from artists from other disciplines who use movement in their practice are welcome
Stomping Ground commissions will reflect the range of artists in the UK. Applications from those who are currently underrepresented in the dance sector, including but not limited to, disabled artists, artists from financially disadvantaged backgrounds, artists who experience racism, artists with care responsibilities and artists who are LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged.
The commissioned artist will be supported on their journey from the beginnings of the idea, right through to production. Alongside the £20k commission, the partners can also offer R&D space, marketing guidance, producing and touring support and other guidance.
UK based artists, who define themselves as having an established practice, and track record of making and presenting high quality work.
Applications from students (unless at PhD level), or artists based outside of the UK will not be eligible.
Applicants are invited to respond with an expression of interest form available via this link https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/7MG6WZT
Deadline for applications: Thursday 29 April at 12pm midday
Interviews: online on Tues 25 & Weds 26 May.
All applicants can request feedback, and all applicants will be told the outcome of their application by Friday 4 June
The selection is carried out by a panel of producers and programmers from the commissioning organisations, as well as an external artist.
An information session will be held on Weds 31 March at 4pm online, where representatives from the commissioning group provide an opportunity to ask questions.
To sign up for the information session or for any further questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stomping Ground is a commissioning group comprised of The Place, Festival.Org, DanceXchange and Tramway.