Health Events and Conferences
Conferences and Networking Events
Each year, One Dance UK’s Healthier Dancer Programme (HDP) organises a conference and two professional networking events highlighting key issues in health, fitness and well-being for the dance profession and providing opportunities for discussion and debate.
COMING UP in 2019…
- September 2019 – Dancers’ Health Networking Event: Our bi-annual networking event held in Birmingham, venue and programme to be announced Summer 2019.
PREVIOUS EVENTS since 1990…
Previous Healthier Dancer Programme events:
One Dance UK
- 3 March 2019 – Dancers’ Health Networking Event: Our bi-annual networking event held CloudM, CitizenM Tower of London Hotel and including key discussions and opportunities to be a part of strategic planning for the future of dancers’ health – working together to reach shared goals.
- 23 and 24 November 2018 – One Dance UK’s annual conference season ‘Leading the way – a stronger future for dance’ hosted in Leeds, including Northern Ballet and Yorkshire Dance, and at Leeds Beckett University featuring sessions on Leading the Way in Dance Healthcare Management – the Science Behind the Arts, Addressing Barriers to Mental Health in Training and Performance, and The Art of Scheduling in Dance Training and Performance.
- 23 September 2018 – Dancers’ Health Networking Event: Our bi-annual networking event held at the Hospital Club featuring speakers Dr Jessica Eccles: Hypermobility and the brain: Implications for practice, and Dr Nicky Keay: RED-S and dancers.
- 27 May 2018 – Dancers’ Health Networking Event: Our bi-annual networking event at CloudM, CitizenM Tower of London Hotel featuring Dr Siobhan Mitchell: Maturity timing in dance and Gary Carter: What is fascia and what is its importance when treating dancers?
- 11 March 2018 – Preparing to Fly: a day on safe practice for aerial artists presented by One Dance UK and All or Nothing Aerial Dance Theatre and Hosted by Dance Base, Edinburgh
- 13 and 14 January 2018 – Dissecting Aerial a 2-Day Healthier Aerial/Dance Symposium presented by Gravity and Levity in partnership with One Dance UK and The Point Eastleigh
- 26 November 2017 – Healthier Dancer Programme Conference as part of One Dance UK’s Conference Season, Trinity Laban Conservatoire for Music and Dance, London
- 7 September 2017 – Dancers’ Health Networking Event: Our bi-annual networking event held at The Royal Opera House, London and featuring presentations from Greg Retter, Clinical Director, The Royal Ballet and Helen Laws, Head of the National Institute of Dance Medicine and Science (NIDMS)
- 26 May 2017 – A Healthier Dancer Day on The Adolescent Dancer, IADMS Regional Meeting, DanceEast, Ipswich
- 11 May 2017 – Mind the Gap: Train Smart, Improve Performance Stratford Circus Arts Centre, London
- 19 February 2017 – First annual Dancers’ Health Networking Event with One Dance UK and National Institute of Dance Medicine and Science (NIDMS) held at The Hospital Club, Covent Garden.
- 25 November 2016 – Collaborative Forum Stratford Circus Arts Centre, London
Dance UK (became One Dance UK in April 2016)
- October 2015 – Strength and Conditioning in Dance: Power, Performance, and Rehabilitation, Elmhurst Ballet School, Birmingham
- April 2015 – Dance UK’s Industry Wide Conference: The Future: New Ideas, New Inspirations
- April 2014 – Aesthetic Athletes and Dancers: Training and Optimising Performance, Royal Society of Medicine, London
- November 2013 – Beyond the Body: Dance UK Psychology Conference, Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham
- April 2012 – Nutrition and Disordered Eating in Dance: Artistry, athleticism and the role of the multidisciplinary support team, Royal Society of Medicine, London
- April 2011 – From Injury to Performance: Lessons to Share in Dance and Sports, Royal Society of Medicine, London
- April 2009 – Dance Medicine: The Female Athlete Triad and Hypermobility, Royal Society of Medicine, London
- October 2000 – Moving Matters (The second Healthier Dancer Conference) Royal Opera House, London
- September 1993 – Training Tomorrow’s Professional Dancers, Arts Educational Schools, London
- September 1990 – The Healthier Dancer (The first Healthier Dancer Conference) Royal Opera House, London
Videos, programmes, reports, and abstracts from many of these conferences are available via the links above or on our resources pages.
Also available in ‘resources’ are informative reports of other dance medicine and science conferences that have taken place around the world over the years.