Luca Silvestrini’s Protein and People Dancing announce ‘People Dancing: Together’
Building on the legacy of successful previous collaborations, dance company Protein and dance development organisation People Dancing are to forge even closer links as they announce a four-year partnership.
Focused on the simple but intensely human activity of people dancing together, the two companies will create an ambitious programme of participatory dance with the aim of engaging the general public in creating and performing dance with friends and families, and in diverse communities across the world.
Over a four-year period from 2018 to 2022, People Dancing: Together will deliver a programme that includes:
· A public campaign to generate greater public engagement in dance through the public performance events and the open availability of choreographic resources
· An annual celebratory international performance day starting in 2019
· Resources for worldwide use by dance leaders, teachers and practitioners
· International collaboration and cultural exchange through participatory dance, offering specific connections between with UK-based artists and practice
· An online platform, tools and resources for teachers and partner organisations
Speaking at the launch of People Dancing: Together, Luca Silvestrini said:
“We are very excited to partner with People Dancing and to build on the mass participation work we started with Big Dance. We will be working with artists, teachers and communities across the country and look forward to engaging all and everyone in turning their everyday lives into extraordinary dance.”
Chris Stenton, Executive Director of People Dancing said:
“We’re really thrilled to work with Protein on People Dancing: Together, who are a long-time friend and collaborator in changing perceptions of what dance is and who dances. The programme unites what our organisations do – great dance, and great opportunities for participation in dance – in a really creative and fun programme that we hope everyone can see themselves within.”
The programme was launched at an event for local dance artists and supporters ahead of a performance of Protein’s critically acclaimed Border Tales at Curve Theatre in Leicester.
Further details of People Dancing: Together are to be made available in summer 2018 at www.communitydance.org.uk