Dance Teaching Mentoring
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR DANCE TEACHING MENTORING PROGRAMMES 2017
One Dance UK, with the support of Arts Council England and in partnership with Dancers’ Career Development, is now accepting applications for its successful Dance Teaching Mentoring Programme 2017.
This is a professional development opportunity for mid-career dance teachers identified by their peers as future leaders.
The Dance Teaching Mentoring Programme is a funded opportunity for ten mid-career dance teachers, who have been identified by their peers as future leaders of the arts, to be matched with a funded mentor working in a high-level leadership position to support them in developing their ambitions to be future leaders in dance or the wider arts sector. The aim is to support the teachers to help them consider their future beyond or alongside their current careers.
As well as working with a one-on-one mentor, One Dance UK has raised more funds so that each of the selected dance teachers also gets matched with a school, company or institution of their choice which is funded to establish a relationship/connection with that dance teacher based around shared areas of interest.
“I have gained my own self-belief.
I have secured a head of department role in my school, as well as developing my own youth
training programme to support students from
my area who do not have the money to access
the CAT programme. My mentor enabled me to see how
I can progress myself further and how I can develop
as an individual within a school organsation.”
– Rebecca Woolven (Head of Dance at Swindon Academy)
Who can apply?
- Dance teachers who are One Dance UK members with a minimum of eight years professional dancing experience.
- Dance teachers who work for One Dance UK company members (anyone who wants to apply and is not currently a member of One Dance UK can join now and will be eligible immediately or call 0207 7130730)
- Applying to One Dance UK’s Dance Teaching Mentoring Programme is a two-stage process – nomination and application.
How to apply?
Dance teachers need to be nominated for the programme by someone who recognises their potential to be leaders, as either an artistic or management leader.
- You should include a short statement about why you are nominating this dance teacher as a future leader. All nominated candidates should be asked for their permission to be nominated.
- One Dance UK will then contact the dance teacher to complete an online application with a short statement on why they would like to be part of this programme, what they hope to gain from it and to send their current CV.
- Nominations and applications sent later than 20 February 2017 will not be considered.
Who can nominate?
- Those drawn from the independent sector can be nominated by companies, choreographers, dance agencies or anyone working in the profession.
- Those drawn from education institutions/ companies can be nominated by the executive team of the organisation, in consultation with other staff as appropriate.
What’s the timescale?
- Nominations and applications deadline is 20 February 2017.
- Selection will be made in March 2017 by a group of experienced artists, choreographers and dance managers, chaired by One Dance UK.
- The successful applicants will be announced on 17 March 2017.
- The mentorship will last for eight months from April through to December 2017.
For more information about the programme and what mentoring involves, read more