bbodance celebrate 91 years of dance!
To celebrate, bbodance are giving away free online access to their educational resources until September.
Formerly known as the British Ballet Organization (BBO), bbodance were founded in 1930 by Edouard Espinosa and his wife, the singer Louise Kelland.
Espinosa created bbodance to standardise the progressive learning of dance through syllabi and exams. He thought this was the best way to help students develop a solid technical foundation and lifelong love of dance.
91 years later, having survived two World Wars and an unprecedented global pandemic that severely affected the dance industry, bbodance still upholds these values.
2020 was difficult. bbodance could have scaled down, but that’s not their way. Instead,
- they kept in touch with members around the world and increased the level of support for their students,
- they moved all their courses online,
- they constantly monitored Government updates, revised guidelines, and informed their members,
- they introduced Digital Examinations to help students continue their training despite restrictions,
- they organised a wide variety of syllabus and non-syllabus courses at discounted prices,
- they held their first-ever conference online, accessible to all teachers around the world,
- they held not one, but two online dance challenges to keep students engaged, creative, and motivated — one of which resulted in a film,
- as restrictions eased, they welcomed students from English National Ballet School into their studios in Battersea,
- when restrictions temporarily lifted, they held an amazing masterclass with Patron, Brenda Last OBE, streamed live around the world from the Espinosa Studio at bbodance headquarters,
- they introduced scholarships for the talented bbodance Scholars,
- they welcomed new members and are now present in 15 countries & on 5 continents!
- they celebrated their first-ever online graduation!
- they launched an eco-friendly Scholars dancewear collection with Dansez & Brandon Lawrence of Birmingham Royal Ballet,
- they celebrated their 90th with Patrons, members & friends from around the world…
What an amazing year!
“Thank you to everyone who stood by us. You make bbodance what it is; you’re the reason we go to work every day. Happy anniversary!“ stated bbodance CEO, Robin Bloor.