Selections announced for One Dance UK’s Mentoring Programmes 2017-18
Workforce development for mid-career dance artists and dance teachers identified by their peers as future leaders
Organised in partnership with Dancers’ Career Development
Following a peers’ nomination and an evaluation process by an expert panel, 10 dance artists and 8 dance teachers have been selected to take part in One Dance UK’s Dancers’ and Dance Teaching Mentoring Programmes.
Organised by One Dance UK in partnership with Dancers’ Career Development, the programme recognises the huge importance of supporting the next generation of leading dance artists and dance teachers.
The selected dance artists and dance teachers will benefit from the wisdom, experience and industry insights of a mentor. They range from independent artists, young entrepreneurs, freelance dance teachers to national dance company members.
Dancers’ Mentoring Programme:
Established in 2007, One Dance UK’s Dancers’ Mentoring Programme offers dance artists each year the opportunity to develop as leaders in and beyond their performing career, closely aligned with Dancers’ Career Development’s programme of transition support services for dancers.
The dance artists selected to take part this year are:
- Adam Rutherford: Artistic Director
- Blair Tookey: Dance Artist
- Jeanefer Jean-Charles: Choreographer, Movement Director & Creative Consultant
- Lee Bamford: Administration and HR Manager – Hofesh Shechter Company / Freelance Producer
- Matteo Marfoglia: Dance Artist
- Renaud Wiser: Choreographer
- Sandrine Monin: Choreographer
- Sophie Arstall: Dance Artist
- Tania Diggory: Director of Calmer
- Tim Casson: Artistic Director, Casson & Friends
Dance Teaching Mentoring Programme:
Since its establishment in 2013, this career-enhancing programme, is designed to develop leadership potential, expand teachers’ industry knowledge and network of contacts under the guidance of an established industry figure and a host cultural organisation.
The dance teachers selected to take part this year are:
- Amy Gough: Subject Leader Dance
- Becky Smithson: Teacher of Dance and Drama
- Emma Jones: Freelance Dance Artist
- Krishna Zivraj-Nair: Artistic Director, Sanskruti Dance
- Louise Kelsey: Programme Leader for Dance Performance
- Luke Ganz: Dance Lecturer
- Shivani Sethia: Professional Dancer
- Stephen Mason: Lecturer and Freelance Dance Arist
One Dance UK organised and chaired a selection panel of dance industry leaders who generously volunteered their time to assess the applications. The panel included Benjamin Dunks, Artistic Director – Attik Dance, Jennifer Curry, Executive Director – Dancers’ Career Development, Jo Towler, Executive Director – Candoco Dance Company, June Gamble: Coordinating Producer – Plymouth Dance, Melanie Knott: Head of Learning – Curve Theatre / freelance dance educator, Michelle Groves: MA, BSc(Hons), BPhil(Hons), Doctoral candidate UCL, Institute of Education, Monique Deletant Bell: Director – Stratford Circus Arts Centre (Maternity cover), Pam Johnson: Senior Relationship Manager – Arts Council England, London office, Sue Wyatt: Chair – One Dance UK/ Director of English National Ballet School (From 1st April 2017), Tomorr Kokona, Professional Development Manager – One Dance UK