Performance Optimisation Package (POP)
One Dance UK offers Performance Optimisation Package (POP) through the National Institute of Dance Medicine and Science. Alongside the benefits of One Dance UK membership two additional elements specifically designed to help dancers maintain health, fitness and optimum performance are on offer as part of the POP:
- Two musculoskeletal screening per year
- A tailored health cash plan worth over £600/year.
The package has been designed to complement the existing specialist healthcare available at National Institute of Dance Medicine and Science (NIDMS) NHS clinics, and will be invaluable for dance artists working independently or without comprehensive in-house health provision. Any individual dancer, teacher or choreographer can take out the package; companies and schools may also wish to add it to their existing offering for dancers.
The One Dance UK Performance Optimisation Package (POP) offers benefits of over £800, costs from £210 per year, and includes the following:
1. Two Musculoskeletal and fitness screenings per year
Members taking out the POP can book twice a year for a health and fitness screening session offered by NIDMS dance scientists and healthcare practitioners at Trinity Laban in London and Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Jerwood Centre. On the day you will be personally guided through your screening by a NIDMS dance scientist and dance physiotherapist. Prior to your screening date you will be asked to complete a health, injury and training questionnaire.
What to expect at screening:
- Functional physiotherapy assessment: A physiotherapist will investigate previous injury history and evaluate potential risk for future injury. Assessments are designed to uncover injury risk factors present in the body, such as weaknesses, tightness, range of motion restrictions and muscular imbalances. The aim is to provide invaluable information about the body so that steps can be taken to reduce injury risks through specific training.
- Body composition and anthropometric measurements: This assessment helps performers maintain a healthy BMI in order to optimise performance.
- Range of motion/ flexibility measurements: Range of motion and muscle flexibility are important aspects of dance performance. This series of tests focuses on hip range of motion and surrounding muscle flexibility in various planes of movement.
- Muscular strength, endurance and power measurements: These tests measure core muscular endurance, upper body strength and endurance, lower limb power and lower limb endurance. These are important in many dance movements, particularly performing lifts and weight-bearing actions and to be able to propel the body through space, such as in jumps or travel sequences.
- Aerobic capacity:An incremental treadmill test (a standardised measure of aerobic fitness) will be used to measure your aerobic capacity, providing information on your ability to delay the onset of fatigue which has been linked to injury.
- Feedback: Once the screening has been completed, a 10 minute one-to-one feedback session will be provided. This will allow time to discuss the screening results in the context of your work and give personalised recommendations for optimising training and performance. A detailed individual report will be provided shortly after your screening day.
Members taking out the POP get a health cash plan from BHSF, which includes annual benefits of:
- up to £575 reimbursement consisting of up to £250 for diagnostic consultations, up to £250 for therapies including physiotherapy, osteopathy, acupuncture, homeopathy and up to £75 for chiropody
- 24 hour GP, medical, counselling and legal helplines
- dental trauma cover up to £1,000
- a general health screening
- optical voucher to be redeemed against a select range of glasses
For further information, call the Healthier Dancer Programme team on 0207 713 0730, or to sign up to POP click here.